NDP asking for return to daily COVID updates following 142 COVID related deaths in February

Following one of the most deadly months of the pandemic in Saskatchewan, the Offical Opposition continued to ask the Government of Saskatchewan to reintroduce daily updates.

From February 1 to February 26, a total of 142 people died in the province due to COVID-19.

That made February the third deadliest month in the province, with two days of data still left to be counted. That total brought the province’s death toll to 1,134.

Opposition Health Critic Vicki Mowat is asking the government to once again share daily information about COVID with Saskatchewan residents.

“The Premier and the Health Minister say one thing, and the experts say another,” she stated. “At last week’s physician town hall, physician leaders shared that the hospitalizations level is at the ‘highest levels ever.”‘

“This is absolutely information that Saskatchewan people should know.”

Mowat also said that data shared at last week’s physician town hall showed Regina’s acute care capacity at 104% and Saskatoon’s at 145%.

In response, Health Minister Paul Merriman was following the recommendations of Dr. Saqib Shahab.

“I have faith in the Saskatchewan people to be able to make the decisions. If they are feeling symptomatic, they can go and get the rapid tests,” she said. “I don’t know why the members opposite (NDP) are stuck on this. Dr. Shahab has recommended this. Other provinces, Nova Scotia, P.E.I., British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, are all either there or moving to weekly reporting.

The next batch of data on COVID-19 is set to be released in March. 10.

More from Play92