Proof of vaccination or negative test now required for family/support people and visitors at acute care facilities and long-term care homes

The Saskatchewan Health Authority wants people to remember that as of Monday, proof of full COVID-19 vaccination, or a recent negative test, is required for all family /support people and visitors to enter any SHA acute care facility and long-term care home.

Patients will not be required to follow that guideline to receive care or service.

For those who are not fully vaccinated and choose to show proof of a negative PCR or rapid antigen test it must be no older than 72 hours.

The Saskatchewan Health Authority will not cover the cost of any test.

In urgent situations including emergency ground transport, one unvaccinated family member or support person will be permitted to enter a facility.

Proof of full vaccination or a negative test result will also not be required for the following:

  • In urgent/emergent situations. This includes emergency ground transport. One unvaccinated family/support person permitted.
  • For labouring mothers and partners as they are considered urgent care situations. One unvaccinated family/support person permitted.
  • In cases when children/dependents need care. One parent/support person will be allowed to accompany the child regardless of vaccination status or negative test.
  • For LTC, planned care appointments, admissions and surgery, if there is no option for a vaccinated/tested negative family or support, one designated family member/support person is permitted without proof of vaccination or negative test (in discussion with the care team). Additional precautions may be required.
  • For end of life situations.

You will have several options for showing your proof of vaccination credentials:

  • QR Code on your mobile phone (screenshot from MySaskHealthRecordOpens in new window or SK Vax Wallet app)
  • QR code printed from MySaskHealthRecordOpens in new window
  • COVID-19 vaccine certificate printed from MySaskHealthRecordOpens in new window
  • Wallet cards received at time of immunization (Saskatchewan Health Authority or Indigenous Services Canada)
  • Proof (electronic or in writing) issued by another province, territory or government.



More from Play92