The Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations held a news conference Tuesday where a woman in a controversial video filmed at a Saskatoon grocery store a week ago, was present. Annette Custer was accompanied by her partner and did not speak during the news conference.
Saskatoon Police reported last week that a 30 year old woman had been charged with Theft Under $5,000 and Assault. A nine minute video posted to social media shows a male private security guard wrestling to detain a woman on the ground, then pursuing her and attempting to restrain her in a vehicle.
FSIN Vice Chief David Pratt says there needs to be an anti-racism strategy at both the provincial and federal level, “I think we need mandatory Indigenous Studies classes across the board. People need to know the true history of what’s happened to our people, of why we are where we are today. Otherwise these acts of violence are going to continue. I’m going to say it plain today, plain and simple, is that if she was a white woman, would that have happened.”
Michael Seed, legal counsel for the FSIN says they are calling on the Saskatoon Police Service to seriously investigate and lay charges against the Loss Prevention Officer involved. The Saskatoon Police Service says the investigation remains active and they will follow through depending on what new details become known. As well, the Saskatoon Police Service has stated that if they need to seek an opinion from the Crown then they will do so.