Premier Scott Moe and health minister Paul Merriman have received a letter from 285 physicians across the province.
They are calling on the government to expand public health measures currently in place in Regina to the rest of the province, saying it will decrease the number of cases and hospitalizations and that the healthcare system will not cope with the variants of concern that are growing in Saskatchewan because they are more aggressive, more contagious and more lethal.
The letter also states that the province should follow the National Advisory Committee on Immunization guidelines when it comes to the provincial vaccine rollout so that health-care workers and essential services workers like teachers be inoculated regardless of age.
The doctors say we are all tired of this virus and want it to end. While vaccinations are the light at the end of the tunnel, we are not close enough to the end to rely solely on them.
Merriman said earlier this week that no changes are planned to the age-based vaccine plan saying it would slow down the rate of people who are getting shots.
Saskatchewan physicians are again asking @PremierScottMoe to take new and important steps in addressing the changing COVID Pandemic to protect and support the lives of all people in Saskatchewan. @ryanmeili pic.twitter.com/02CzxiRGpS
— David Woloschuk (@DavidWoloschuk) April 9, 2021
This is the second time a group of doctors in the province have written a letter to the government. In November, over 300 doctors told Moe, Merriman and chief medical health officer Dr. Saqib Shahab that “lives are on the line” if the government doesn’t do more to prevent the spread of COVID-19.